In-house job opportunity
Group Legal Counsel role for a FTSE 30 Group Legal Department
REPORTING TO: Deputy Group General Counsel
DATE: May 2018
Reporting to the Deputy Group General Counsel and working within the wider Group Legal team, the Group Legal Counsel will have day-to-day responsibility for the duties listed below.
The role is a permanent role and will be based at FTSE’s headquarters in Chertsey, Surrey, although there may potentially be a requirement to travel abroad (depending on the matters on which the individual is required to advise).
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES:
- Acting as the legal interface between the Group and relevant legal and commercial representatives for selected group companies worldwide
- Providing legal advice to the Group head office functions (including Tax, Treasury, HR, IT and Finance)
- Assisting the International Clients sales team in drafting and negotiating multi-country master services agreements with key global clients of the Group, and providing commercially focussed legal advice to various business teams worldwide on a wide range of commercial agreements
- Drafting and negotiating pan-European and international supply agreements with key suppliers to the Group
- Providing legal advice in respect of commercial law, employment, real estate, intellectual property, competition law, data privacy, insurance and general third party and intra-group agreements; supporting the Group Legal team on litigation matters and ensuring legal documentation complies with laws, regulations and best practice
- Providing and coordinating legal advice in relation to any M&A activity within the Group, including negotiating the relevant transaction documentation
- Preparation and review of both standard precedent documentation, carrying out research into legal issues, together with preparation and regular presentation of training materials to the wider business teams on legal issues which may impact the business
- Supporting the Company Secretarial department in relation to legal issues arising from the company’s listed status and other company secretarial matters.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES:
The successful candidate will:
- have a good understanding of contract and commercial law, coupled with strong drafting, negotiation and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- be well organised and be able to demonstrate a consistently high level of legal analysis and attention to detail
- have a good attitude, coupled with a willingness to learn and an ability to interact effectively with colleagues, clients and other third parties and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders
- be able to work independently as a self-starter, manage multiple matters with a commercial awareness and focus on providing practical solutions, although will also need to be an effective team player
- have the experience and confidence to deal with difficult situations, remaining robust under pressure, prioritising tasks and working to tight deadlines whilst maintaining the highest quality of advice
- have excellent legal, analytical, inter-personal and PC skills. Relevant foreign language skills may also be an advantage but are not essential.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will be degree educated and have an appropriate First or 2:1 degree. The individual will be a commercial or corporate lawyer with good training and will have c.3-4 years' post-qualification commercial/corporate experience (gained either in-house or at a respected law firm), including experience in drafting and negotiating corporate and/or commercial agreements. Please note the reference to such PQE is a guide only. FTSE is an equal opportunities employer and is happy to consider other relevant candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills and appropriate experience necessary to fulfil the role.
For more information, please contact Rob Fowler.